PRESS STATEMENT MEETING OF THE OCM SELECTION COMMITTEE
The OCM Selection Committee met this afternoon under the Chairmanship of Tan Sri Dato’ Sri Norza Zakaria who is also the President of the OCM. The OCM Selection Committee discussed the selection criteria for three major multi-sport games which will be held in 2022 next year:
• 31st SEA Games in Vietnam, from 12 to 23 May 2022;
• 22nd Commonwealth Games, Birmingham, from 28 July to 8 August 2022;
• 19th Asian Games in Hangzhou, 10 – 25 Sept 2022.
In general, the Selection Committee agreed to maintain:
• Selection of Athletes based on Category A and Category B.
For the SEA Games 2022,
• for individual sports,
o To qualify as Category A – athlete must be, at a minimum, in the top three of their respective events. This is the same as current criteria.
o However, for Category B, the Selection Committee have tightened criteria. Athletes will need to be in the top 6 to qualify. Previously, the criteria was top 8.
• For team sports, a team needs to be in top 4 to be considered under Category A.
The Committee will utilise competitions from year 2018 to February 2022 as basis for selection. The deadline for entry by name for SEA Games will be on 12 March 2022.
Hence, in principle,
• Those 250 athletes who are currently in the MSN Elite program will form the bulk of our Contingent to the SEA Games 2022.
• Additionally, 193 athletes who are in the MSN Pelapis program will also be in consideration should they meet the criteria.
• Those who are not in the MSN program will have the opportunity to prove themselves in the competitions that are upcoming.
For the Asian Games 2022 and Commonwealth Games 2022, the criteria for individual athletes and team sports are the same.
• For Category A, the criteria will be similar to current criteria. Athletes and teams will have to be in the top 4, while
• For Category B, we have tightened the criteria. Instead of top 16, athletes and teams will have to be in the top 8 to be considered under category B.
For the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games, the Selection Committee will take into account athletes’ performances from 2018 to May 2022, including the SEA Games 2022.
In discussing the criteria and preparation for the Multi-Sport Games, the Selection Committee considered the uncertainties presented by the Covid-19 pandemic and that each Organising Committee will have unique SOPs and playbook to keep the athletes and officials safe.
29 December 2021