The Closing Ceremony of the Olympic Carnival Penang 2019
The Closing Ceremony of the Olympic Carnival Penang 2019 was successfully organized on Sunday, 23 June 2019, from 7.00 pm to 10.30 pm, at the Padang Kota Lama, George Town, Penang
The Ceremony was officiated by Y.A.B. Chow Kon Yeow, the Chief Minister of Penang.
Dato’ Seri Azim Zabidi, Deputy President of OCM, in his speech, congratulated the Penang State Government for having organized the best ever Olympic Day Celebration with additional elements such as Olympic Carnival, Mini Olympic and Countdown to Olympic Games.
Y.B. Soon Lip Chee, the Penang State Executive Councillor for Youth and Sports, in his speech, thanked the OCM for giving Penang State the opportunity to organize the Olympic Day by which they had extended the celebration to a 12-day Carnival.
Y.A.B. Chow Kon Yeow, in his speech, congratulated Y.B. Soon Lip Chee and his team for having worked together with the OCM to organize the Olympic Carnival Penang 2019, which is in line with the “Penang 2030 Vision” to achieve a family-focused, green and smart state.
Some of the highlights of the event were as follows:
- Olympic Torch Relay by 8 Olympians from Penang namely Mr. Safarudin Zain (Cycling-Tokyo 1964), Dato’ Thambu Krishnan (Athletics-Mexico 1968 & Munich 1972), Mr. PLBS Peyadesa (Athletics-Munich 1972), Mr. Takbir Ahmad Nazir (Hockey-Munich 1972), Mr. Jiwa Mohan (Hockey-Sydney 2000), Mr. Cheng Chu Sian (Archery-Beijing 2008 & London 2012), Mr. Chan Peng Soon (Badminton-Rio 2016) and Datuk Lee Chong Wei (Badminton-Athens 2004, Beijing 2008, London 2012 & Rio 2016). Ms. Goh Jin Wei, who had contributed the historical gold medal in Badminton at the III YOG Buenos Aires 2018 was also one of the Torch Bearers. Datuk Lee Chong Wei, who has been appointed as the Chef de Mission of the Malaysian Contingent to Tokyo 2020 recently was given the honour to light the cauldron to the applause of the audience.
- Countdown to the XXXII Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 with 397 days to go.
- Appreciation given to all the sponsors.
- Lucky draw prizes especially the two (2) grand prizes to the Tokyo Olympics which are inclusive of flight tickets, accommodations and entry tickets to watch the Games.
- A 3-minute fireworks which ended the event.